AMARILLO, Texas (KAMR / KCIT) – The Amarillo Symphony has announced its 2022 conductor search season.
The Amarillo Symphony said the Music Director Search Committee has selected three finalists for their position as Music Director and Conductor (Conner Covington, George Jackson and Stilian Kirov).
Each nominee will conduct two masterpiece concerts during the 2022 symphony season, which runs from January to June 2022, and the symphony orchestra has said it welcomes feedback from its musicians, patrons and board members. administration on the most suitable candidate.
The flagship event of the season includes:
- George Jackson conducts Sibelius’ daring Symphony No.2 with Mendelssohn’s Overture to the Hebrides and Liebermann’s Flute Concerto with guest flautist Jake Fridkis (January 21-22)
- Stilian Kirov conducting Rachmaninoff’s Second Symphony, with Gershwin’s Girl Crazy Overture (arranged by McBride) and Leroy Anderson’s jazzy Piano Concerto in C major with guest pianist Fei-Fei Dong (February 25-26)
- Conner Covington conducts Mozart’s Exsultate Jubilate with guest singer Ashley Robillard and also conducts the orchestra in Brahms’ Second Symphony and Quinn Mason’s joyful and energetic trilogy A Joyous (March 25-26)
- Elgar’s beloved Enigma Variations and ‘Sylvia’ Delibes Ballet Suite, conducted by George Jackson, who is also joined by teenage piano virtuoso Harmony Zhu for Schumann’s piano concerto (April 22-23)
- A Night of Opera Music with Der Rosenkavalier’s Strauss Suite and Rossini’s Overture to the Barber of Seville, also featuring This Midnight Hour by living composer Anna Clyne and guest pianist Janice Carissa playing Rachmaninov’s Rhapsody on a theme by Paganini, conducted by Conner Covington (May 27-28)
- DvoÅÃ¡k’s powerful New World Symphony, Walker’s string lyrics and Barber’s virtuoso violin concerto with guest violinist William Hagen, conducted by Stilian Kirov (June 24-25)
For season tickets, the Symphony has said to call its office at (806) 376-8782, and single tickets for each event will go on sale Jan.3, 2022.
More information on the Amarillo Symphony can be found here.